Remove request from nginx error logs

gaurav gupta 1989.gaurav at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:21:18 UTC 2015

Hello Folks,

How can we remove request url being logged in nginx error logs. For example
it looks something like:

2015/09/01 15:26:03 [error] 30547#0: *208725 upstream prematurely closed
connection while reading response header from upstream, client:
123.123.50.44, server: test.example.com, request: "GET
/v1.3/status.json?...."

is it possible to drop request from the log(if present) so it looks
something like:

2015/09/01 15:26:03 [error] 30547#0: *208725 upstream prematurely closed
connection while reading response header from upstream, client:
123.123.50.44, server: test.example.com

I was able to configure access logs but couldn't find a way to customize
error logs. If there is no way to drop just request, is it possible to drop
complete error logs matching a particular format something similar to what
https://github.com/cfsego/ngx_log_if does for access logs. I see that
error_log is part of nginx core
https://github.com/cfsego/ngx_log_if/blob/master/ngx_http_aclog_bypass_module.c,
but would it be possible to extend by creating a new nginx module. I am
really sorry since I am new to nginx code/module and this might sound
stupid.

Any suggestion/direction to achieve this is really appreciated.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Gupta

"Quality is never an accident. It is always result of intelligent effort" -
John Ruskin