Cannot totally switch off caching

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 2 10:12:06 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:08:52AM -0400, imanenkov wrote:

> Maxim Dounin Wrote:
> > On the other hand, 100-200 msec is way too long for nginx to
> > return a cached response.
> >
> > If you assume the response is cached by nginx somehow, simpliest
> > test is to switch off php-fpm and check if you are still able to
> > request a resource.
> Thanks for idea! I change a location path in template named "php" from
> "location ~ \.php$" to "location ~ \.pZp$" (just for excluding *.php
> processing), restart nginx, and server returned a just content (source) of
> my index.php file. Then I revert location changes back to \.php, restart
> nginx, make request, and server return fast response of correct page again
> (0.01 sec with wget, and 60 msec with httperf).

Unfortunately, all the tests you did actually prove nothing.
You've been told to switch off php-fpm, not to change nginx
configuration.

If you want to change nginx configuration - just add
$upstream_cache_status variable to a log, it will show if a
response was from nginx cache (HIT) or was requested from a
backend.

Other upstream-related variables may be interesting too, in
particular $upstream_response_time.  See here for more:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#variables

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html